The Santa Clara County Office of Education (SCCOE) in cooperation with The
Health Trust and Healthy Silicon Valley has created a new program called Fit
for Learning. During 2005-2006, the program will focus on 5th grade students
in Santa Clara County. The primary objective for Fit for Learning is
addressing the increased rate in childhood obesity.
Jennifer Morris, PhD, at Stanford Prevention Research Center, wrote the Fit
for Learning Resource Guide to provide teachers with ideas for getting their
students involved in learning about nutrition and physical fitness. The Fit
for Learning Resource Guide is divided into monthly themes tied to a
nutrition or physical activity objective. See a sample of this month's theme,
- Kids' Physical Fitness Shows Slim Progress - Results somewhat better in Santa Clara County.
- Talking to Kids
about Weight and Nutrition – Article in Parade Magazine created in
collaboration with the American Heart Association.
More articles and
- Conference, December 2, 2005 - "Getting 'Em Fit to L
earn" – Healthy Start, After School Providers and School Wellness Council members are
- Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Legislation to Combat Childhood Obesity
– These reforms will remove junk food and sodas off the school campuses and place more fruits
and vegetables in school meals. Read the press release to get the details.
'No' to School Junk-Food Sales (From Education Week)
- MyPyramid for Kids - Food
Guidance Program for Children - On September 28, 2005, Mike Johanns,
Agriculture Secretary, unveiled a child-friendly version of the 2005 Dietary
Guidelines for Americans called MyPyramid for Kids. The program has an
interactive computer game, lesson plans for grades 1-6, colorful flyers, and
valuable tips for families to make healthier food choices and keep an active
- Brandi Chastain and Marlene Bjornsrud founded
the Bay Area Women’s Sports Initiative (BAWSI) – This nonprofit
organization seeks to build an environment in which girls and women become
and remain an integral part of the Bay Area sports culture.
Grant and Educational Program – The program is dedicated to the
development and funding of girls’ sports/physical activity programs. A
total of $200,000 will be awarded.
- Payday loans online from $100 to $1000 cash advances and with almost instant approval online!